How does the online Defensive Driving Course work?
TicketSchool’s online New York defensive driving course consists of six units and takes approximately five and one-half hours to complete. Unlike traditional classroom courses, our online defensive driving course is available anytime and from anywhere you have internet access. You DO NOT have to be online on a particular day or time, and you can log in and out of the course from any internet enabled device (PC, laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc.). Once you complete our defensive driving course, an original certificate of completion will be sent to you via the delivery method chosen so that you can turn in the certificate to the appropriate authority (insurance company, court, TLC, etc.). We will also report your completion to the New York DMV so that you can receive any eligible point reduction benefits.
Reasons to take a New York IPIRP course
Point Reduction – Have up to 4 points not counted on NY driving record for suspension / revocation
Insurance Discount – Receive a 10% discount on your auto insurance
Traffic Diversion Program – Satisfy a court requirement for a ticket
TLC Drivers License – Meets Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC) requirements
- Save money with lower prices compared to traditional classroom courses
- Take the course from the comfort of your own home, office, coffee shop, etc.
- Self-paced and interactive, log in and out as needed anytime
- Up to date HD quality videos and engaging animations
- Quicker processing of certificates vs a classroom course
- Free reporting to New York DMV for point reduction
- Live customer support
In our easy online course, you will learn safe driving practices that will help you become a better driver, help you reduce up to 4 points (if eligible) on your driving record, and save money on your car insurance with a guaranteed 10% discount.
As a state-approved Internet Point Insurance Reduction Program (IPIRP) and New York defensive driving course, our course must follow the regulations set by the New York DMV. These requirements are as follows:
Content Verification: We test your knowledge of the course material in two ways:
- Content checkpoints throughout the course – At seven random spots in the course you will be required to answer a question about the material that was presented on the previous page. You are given three tries to answer correctly.
- End of unit quizzes – At the conclusion of each unit you are required to pass a short four question multiple-choice quiz. You must score a 75% or better to pass. There is no final exam and you receive up to three attempts to pass each unit quiz.
ID Verification: Our course requires you to correctly answer a multiple-choice ID question each time you log in to the course and at seven random points in the course. The seven ID checkpoints will consist of the following:
- Registration ID Question – you will be required to answer a question about the information you provided at registration (Example: address, date of birth, etc.).
- Phone Call-in ID Question - you will be required to call in to a toll-free number and answer one of the ID questions that you set up at registration.
You will receive three attempts to pass each identity checkpoint. If you fail the course due to quizzes or verification checkpoints, re-registration is completely free.
Original Completion Certificate: After you successfully complete the course, the original copy of your completion certificate will be sent via the delivery method chosen (U.S. mail or standard overnight). Original certificates are sent out each business day at 4PM EST (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays). Completions on a holiday, weekend, or after 4PM EST on a weekday will be sent out on the following business day. Certificates sent via U.S. mail should be received within 5-7 business days.
Reporting to NY DMV: If you enter a New York driver license number when registering, your course completion will be reported electronically to the New York DMV so that they may apply any point reduction benefits, if eligible. Your completion will be reported to the New York DMV within seven days.
30-day limit: You must complete the course within 30 days of registration. We provide a countdown on the course main menu to remind you.
State Approved – Our company is licensed by the New York Department of Motor Vehicles as a “course sponsor”. We are listed under our corporate name of Driver Training Associates, Inc. (DTA). As a course sponsor, our course meets or exceeds the strict state standards and has been proven through research to make course participants better and safer drivers.
History – We are proud to have been in business for over 45 years and to have been approved and offering defensive driving in New York for over 40 years! We are a company you can trust.
Superior Service – While you will likely struggle to find a phone number or reach a live person with other companies, our live customer support is available from 8AM to 6PM EST Monday through Friday, and on Saturdays from 8AM to 5PM EST, excluding holidays, to assist with any issue. Contact us at (800) 558-9887.