When you get a traffic ticket in many states, there are serious consequences that go beyond the fine and the frustration. While it might seem easier to simply pay by the due date and move on, there are huge advantages to having the ticket dismissed if possible. Many states, including Texas, allow drivers to have a recent ticket dismissed and ultimately keep their driving record clean by taking a state-approved defensive driving course.
What Are Your Options if You Get a Ticket?
Each state is unique in how they handle traffic tickets. Many states have a points system that requires all tickets to go on your driving record and then offers drivers options to reduce their points and insurance policy rate hikes. Defensive driving courses offer many people the opportunity to have a traffic ticket dismissed. In general, your options include:
- Paying the fine and having the ticket go on your record and possible higher insurance premiums
- Contesting the ticket in court if you believe you did not break the law
- Going to a state-approved traffic school for a driver safety or defensive driving course
Ticket Dismissal and Point Reduction
If your state allows for the ticket dismissal or point reduction option for drivers who complete an approved driver safety course, we always recommend that as the best option since we believe it is always better to keep a clean driving record to avoid any further penalties. If the option is available, consider an approved online defensive driving course that you can take in the comfort of your home.
You will need to:
- Ask the court for the options available to you to handle the court, and notify them of your intent to complete a defensive driving course.
- If the court approves your request, successfully complete the course.
- Submit your certificate of completion and driving record to the court before their appointed deadline.
Benefits of Taking a Defensive Driving Course
Besides helping you get your ticket dismissed and reducing the points on your driving record, taking a defensive driving course has other benefits. Some of the most notable ones include:
- Makes you a better driver. Defensive driving courses equip you with the knowledge and techniques you need to be safer on the road.
- Reduces your insurance rates. Certified defensive drivers are eligible for an insurance discount of up to 10% for three years in many states, but participation can vary by insurance company and state. Reducing points on your license may also qualify you for a reduction in car insurance
- Prevents high accident fees. The knowledge you gain in traffic school can help prevent motor vehicle accidents, which can be extremely expensive.
- Provides state-specific benefits. Depending on your state, there may be other benefits you qualify for by completing an approved defensive driving course.
Texas Defensive Driving Courses
Ticket School offers a defensive driving online course that is approved by Texas courts and qualifies for ticket dismissal in many cases. If you received a ticket and have any questions about the process or eligibility we recommend contacting the court handling your case.
- Our students enjoy an almost 100% pass rate with no final exam and knowledge checks as you learn.
- We offer an online defensive driving course that you can access 24/7 on any device with internet access, even right from your smartphone.
- Our courses are state-approved, not only in Texas, but also in Florida, Virginia, Michigan, New York, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Missouri.
- There are no hidden fees, and our prices are all-inclusive.
Whether you want to take defensive driving for a particular offense or just to improve your driving skills, you can dig into course details and register today to get on the road to better auto insurance rates and safer driving long into the future.